Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Haiku


Haiku 2011
Neocolor II water soluble crayon on Canson paper
8”x12”
 I continue to work with the Icarus drawing board. Haiku was done with the Caran D'Ache water soluble crayons using the heated side of my Icarus board. They melt and blend so easily and smoothly, and are a real pleasure to work with. The pigment colours of these artist crayons are amazing - rich and brilliant, yet soft and highly dimensional. In this piece, they were blended to achieve a dreamy smooth impression, with just enough detail to suggest the surface texture of the orchids being painted.  


The 2011 Annual Ottawa Orchid Show was held this past weekend. Literally thousands of orchids were on display, and judging events were held for the many classes of orchid species.  An art gallery was also present, showcasing the art of the orchid, ranging from stunning photographs to oils, watercolours to pastels, pottery and sculptures, all with an orchid theme.  And if you were so inclined, you could take home orchid plants, orchid jewellery, orchid-growing supplies and reference books.

I volunteered in the art gallery on Saturday afternoon, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.  I also went home with an orchid  - I couldn't resist! - a very fragrant Miltonia, pictured here - it looks like a giant pansy, doesn't it?  The blooms will last for about 6 weeks - delightful!

Years ago I grew orchids, but I ran out of time to devote to their upkeep, and so I stopped.  But now that I have a new orchid to keep me company, who knows? Maybe I'll get back into growing orchids again - they certainly are eye candy, and each species has their own unique personality. 

Happy Spring everyone !

No comments:

Post a Comment