Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nuphar


Nuphar, 2011
10x8 inches, Pastel on Arches 140 lb watercolor paper
The Nuphar is a yellow water lily common to North America.  During the cold winter this year I decided I needed to remember warm days and free flowing water, so I was looking through my photos and chanced upon the series from New Smyrna Beach, Florida, where I spent a few weeks some time back.

Looking at the pictures of a lake filled with lily pads brought back good memories, and the idea for this pastel was born.

Pastels are fast becoming a favourite medium for me.  As you can probably tell from the snapshot of my studio east wall, I tend to work on more than one thing at a time (from left to right, pastel, acrylic, and oil).  Pastels afford me the luxury of stopping and starting at will, such as when I get frustrated with my other works-in-progress.  Perfect for someone who hates being bored, and who hates waiting - for anything J.  And the colours are so-o-o vibrant.  Fun all round.

Now I must force myself to do a large pastel - at least 12x16, so I can take advantage of the full sticks and colours, and the freedom to play.  A new challenge!

Happy spring everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment