Monday, December 27, 2010

Gourds of a Feather

"Gourds of a Feather" 2010
Oil on canvas, 6" x 6"
Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and best wishes for the New Year! I've been so busy lately - a lot of life changes - that I have been totally remiss in posting anything on the web.  My deepest apologies.

I've started playing with oils and realism.  This is my first still life - three tiny gourds (the white one is only 4 inches across).  What fun!


Oils are not easy for me - I'm an instant gratification person.  But I'm in love with glazes.  (You should have seen the actual (as in realistic) colours of the gourds before the glazes - yuck!).
 
But a little glaze mix of burnt sienna and raw umber layered over and voila! Dripping with chiaroscuro, and looking so old  :_)
 
I've also completed an abstract - will post on that later.
 
For now, it's back to hunting for my next subject, and following some of my favorite artist blogs as well.  I've got a free week to fill up on art - a wonderful way to end the year!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment