Sunday, January 2, 2011

Redux

ApollocKiss Redux, 2010 (original 2005)
30x30 inches, acrylic on gallery canvas

Happy New Year everyone!  It's January 2, 2011 and all the snow has melted - an unheard of  thing here in the "Far North" (Ottawa) at this time of year.  It feels like Spring! The sun is shining, I have a window open in the living room for some much needed fresh air - it's unreal.  The weather channel says it will snow for most of the rest of the week, so I'm enjoying the great weather while I can.

New Year's - a time of renewal, refreshment, moving forward. 

As with life so with art - hence the title of my last abstract of 2010, ApollocKiss Redux.  Redux means 'revisited, brought back'.  This painting was originally painted in 2005 for a themed art exhibition.  I didn't like it then (I won't post the original image, an homage to Jackson Pollack, whose style I dislike intensely), and I still didn't like it 5 years later, until I finally decided to redo it after the untimely passing of a new friend.

It is a highly textured canvas, so I was constrained to work around the texture. Many weeks later I was finally satisfied, and what was relegated to the storage area for 5 years now hangs in the living room, where the light from the bay windows plays on the texture and colour variations.  I've even discovered some aspects I didn't realize were there, so it's renewed for me too.

I have so many plans for my art this year.  I know they will change, but I'm certain that many of them will come to fruition.  The rest - well, they will be added to next years list :-)

I hope this year brings renewal and refreshment in your life, too. 

All the best,

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment