Sunday, July 24, 2011

CALDERA

Caldera 2011
16x20 inches Acrylic on canvas
This past week was one of momentous decisions.  I refinanced my mortgage (for the first time in 30 years, except for my house and car, I will be essentially debt free),  I opened up a TFSA, and I accepted a letter of offer for a new position in another department.

I felt it was time to make these changes for my personal well-being, and after some anxious moments (I nearly threw up on the way to sign the letter) I have accepted my decisions and am ready to tackle the new way forward.

In much the same way my art has changed, as I embrace my new vision of abstraction - more fluid, full of unanticipated surprises, yet more controlled and very, very detailed. 

Caldera comes from the Latin caldaria meaning cooking pot. It is also a cauldron-like volcanic feature usually formed by the collapse of land following a volcanic eruption (Wikipedia).

My painting Caldera represents this new beginning - all fire and ice, the change of the old into the new.

Ah, exciting times!

TTFN
Terry

2 comments:

  1. Terry, I really like your new direction in art. Your abstractions are very exciting and, as you said, full of surprises. I want to wish you the best in your new beginnings, artistic and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, your post makes me want to go create a 'caldera' season in my own life! This piece is very fluid, lovely. An interesting combination - fluid, controlled and detailed...well done. And as Ester says, all the best in your new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete