Saturday, August 13, 2011

COUNTERPOINT

Counterpoint 2011
30x36 inches Acrylic on canvas

It's been a while since my last post.  Since cleaning my studio (at least 2/3 of it) I haven't had much time to create.  The new job (5 days old) had been taking all my energy, it seems. This weekend I have been resting up - mid afternoon naps are wonderful, aren't they? But they mess up my biological clock and I find myself staying up way later than normal (for me).

The painting above, Counterpoint, has been finished for about a month, but I haven't posted it because it's been difficult to photograph.  It's highly textured, very glossy, and just plain big! It's also dark, and incredibly detailed, and the photo doesn't do it justice, but for now this is the best image of it I can get. The camera flattens the depth of the colours, and blurs the details because of the texture, so it's hard to explain that you feel like you're falling into it when you're up close.

My grandson Jade says it reminds him of a volcano :-)

I think it's a metaphor for the ebb and flow of existence. Tumultuous, sometimes dark, many times passionate, with threads of brilliant light breaking the surface - the perfect counterpoint to the main melody of  life.  Never dull, always exciting. often beautiful.

I promise I will get a better photo of the painting, but for now I just had to share.

Next post will be another painting that has been finished for about 3 weeks, but I still haven't found a name for it yet. Sigh.

TTFN
Terry

1 comment: